Announcement

Collapse

Ordering Process

Attention:: All members Including Affiliates!! If you are a member and are wanting to order or find out a price these are the procedures below!
1. Login at American-speed.com under Forums
2. Use the Sponsorship dealer program forums and locate your sponsor
3. post pictures and part numbers( Please be patient)
You may also email sales@American-speed.com

Remember everyone we have a small staff so please be patient

IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER YOU CAN STILL ORDER FROM US BUT YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MEMBER PRICING!!
See more
See less

Aaron's Cold air intake install & paint

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron's Cold air intake install & paint

As most of you know, Aaron has a 96 Pontiac Sunfire that has been bone stock for most of it's life. Aaron has done a few cosmetic things to the car, like sound system, blacking out the tail lights and underglow lights (that have been removed finally!).

But recently Aaron was wanting a little performance mod to his car (now we know it's a sunfire...but every bit of hp that they can get is well worth it). After looking at aftermarket cold air intakes that exceeded well higher than $200, Aaron and I decided to make one out of PVC pipe and a cone filter from AutoZone. All work was done last week. We bought roughly $7 worth of 3" pipe, 2 of the 3" to 4" rubber connectors at $8 a piece, 1 of the 3" 90 degree elbows for $4(all PVC piping and connectors were found at Lowes), a crankcase filter for crankcase ventilation at $10, and a 3.5" cone filter at $25. So now we have $55 worth of parts and all we have to do is put them on the car and fabricate the lengths and make the necessary adjustment to get the intake installed and still have hood clearance. So after about an hour of figuring it out how it would work, this is what we came up with:

We were gonna paint it, but ran out of time cuz we had to drive to Louisville for a club meeting, but Aaron said he could tell that the car was just a hair louder, faster on acceleration, and his check engine light went out (not sure that the intake made it go out, but Aaron said that the light had been on since before he got the car...)

Fast forward to today. Aaron had some free time, so he decided to paint the intake black to better blend in with the car and not be an eye sore. So we took everything back apart and started taping and light sanding for paint and fixed a few odds and ends.

The pipes were painted and waited to dry. After they were dry, Aaron removed the tape and started reassembling the pipes and connectors and cone.

We got everything put back together and checked for hood clearances and suprisingly after we painted it, the hood shut better than when we first installed it! Krylon plastic paint was used in painting the pipes.

Another satisfied customer at the shop:

And a little trash talk lol: "Beaner Destroyer" Driver: Aaron Walker
    sigpic
    Rides:

1995 Chevy Cavalier-The DD
    1989 Ford Mustang-The Beast

President of American-Speed Shelbyville Chapter

Originally posted by tim's slow5.0
    I'm gonna give you a warning so this doesn't escalate to something more serious, like me coming after you like a tornado of arms, legs, teeth and fingernails...

Yes we made the intake. Other things will happen when more money enters my hand lol
    sigpic
    Rides:

1995 Chevy Cavalier-The DD
    1989 Ford Mustang-The Beast

President of American-Speed Shelbyville Chapter

Originally posted by tim's slow5.0
    I'm gonna give you a warning so this doesn't escalate to something more serious, like me coming after you like a tornado of arms, legs, teeth and fingernails...

Comment

looks good

Comment

yeah pc pipe works great and it picks up better but still........ a sunfire lol
        maybe soon i can fix up something more exiting or be able to make it badass maybe

Comment

just saw the thing bout the underglow.... man in shelbyville i got so much horse power for that u know that right lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X